Monday, August 10, 2009

Not Me

Time and time again I hear "Well, I didn't pay any attention to it because it had nothing to do with me."

Racism? Nothing to do with me.

Sexism? Nothing to do with me.

Transphobia and Cisgenderism? Nothing to do with me.

Homophobia? Nothing to do with me.

Biphobia? Nothing to do with me.

And then when people go to have their safe and private spaces, the first thing one hears is "What about ME?! Why are you excluding ME?! What are you saying in there?! Why are you talking about ME??! I know you're talking about ME!!!"

Privilege = socially groomed narcissism (Credit: Skywardprodigal).

I see it my comrade, my friend, my sword sister. I see it.

*____________*


What inspired this post? It was reading up on Writercon and some incidents that happened there and reading one particular individual going 'How was I supposed to know that panel had anything to do with Racefail/Racial things that had been going on this year. I thought that was all over back in January. I wasn't paying attention to it because it had nothing to do with me.'

The food on this person's plate comes from politicized racial imbalance and imperialistic corporate domination. From Del Monte to Chiquita, from Monsanto to 'Organic' Lettuce. The books they read? Majority white. The other media they consume? Also majority white.

And yet? A large, months long lasting conversation about race and representation in writing (while they claim interest in writing) had nothing to do with them. It was not part of their personal bubble view of the world.

And they admit this purposeful, rarefied self ignorance proudly with the expectation it should get them some sort of easement and instant compassion for not understanding or being aware of particular concepts.

And they act boggled at the thought that just going to listen to someone speak; that passive act; is not an act of self education.

Privilege = socially groomed narcissism (Credit: Skywardprodigal).

I see it, my kith, my kinwoman, my shield companion.

I see it.